Deadlines for Family Law Matters

Deadlines for Family Law Matters

As with all legal disputes, statutes of time limitations apply to family law matters as well. These deadlines affect the period within which a claim must be filed with the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (FCFCA). These time limits are set out in the Family Act 1975 (Cth). The party will not be able to take any action once the action time limit has expired. Different time limits apply depending on whether the parties are married or in an actual relationship. This page describes deadlines for family law matters.


Property Settlements

Applications for asset settlement can be made at the FCFCA.

If the parties are married, they should apply for the estate settlement one year after her final divorce. If the parties were in a de facto relationship, she would have two years to file an application for asset equalization.

Outside of this period, you can apply only if you have permission from the court (so-called “leave of absence”). You must be able to demonstrate that failure to make a claim in time will result in difficulties.


The court concluded that hardship must prove more than damage. Applicants must have a case worth pursuing and a real chance of success in that case. To receive an extension of the deadline, you must also be able to explain why you were unable to submit your application by the deadline.

The parties say it will take him a year or he two years to reach an agreement on ownership, but they should start the process as soon as possible. Especially if you expect the value of the property to change.


Spousal Maintenance

Spousal support is a type of financial assistance provided to help a spouse or former spouse cover reasonable expenses.

Applications for spousal support can be made in the Federal Circuit and Family Courts of Australia by parties to a marriage or de facto relationship.

If the party is married, she must apply within 12 months after the divorce is finalized. If the couple had a de facto relationship, the application must be filed within two years of the end of the relationship.


Divorce Proceedings

In the case of marriage, the parties must wait 12 months from the date of separation before filing for divorce. Applications for divorce must be filed with her FFCCA.

The couple must convince the court that the parties are unlikely to resume the relationship and that they have separated and have been separated for at least 12 months.

Living separately and apart under the same roof
If the parties are separated but still live in the same house, they can still be classified as separated. In this case, the court will consider the specific circumstances to determine whether the marriage is separated. These include:

  • The financial situation of the parties; B. Where one party financially assists the other.
  • Type of household;
  • Social aspects of relationships.
  • The existence of a sexual relationship; and
  • The nature of the obligations between the parties;

Special circumstances are usually evidenced by affidavits that the parties file with the court when filing the divorce petition.



Appeals of Federal Circuit and Family Court decisions must be filed within 28 days of issuance of the order. If a party appeals the decision, the notice of appeal and a copy of the decision must be submitted along with the filing fee.

Once the opposing party has been served with a request to challenge, he will have 14 days to file a response to the challenge.

A party may request an extension of time by filing an affidavit of appeal. When deciding on an application for an extension of time, the court will consider the following:

  • Length of delay.
  • Reason for the delay;
  • If the other party is disadvantaged as a result
  • The merits of the proposed complaint; and
  • General judge of the case.


Affordable Lawyers


Our Dot Legal Lawyers assist you in all areas of law. We specialise in providing legal advice urgently – at the time when you need it most. If you need a lawyer right now, today, we can help you – no matter where you are in Australia. If you need an experienced criminal or traffic attorney in New South Wales, Australia, click here to request an appointment with Dot Legal or call (1800) 368534  to make an appointment today. Get help from an experienced attorney.


How It Works

  1. You speak directly to a lawyer

When you call the Dot Legal Hotline, you will be connected directly to a lawyer, every time.

  1. Get your legal situation assessed

We determine the best way forward in your legal matter, free of charge. If you want to go ahead and book a face-to-face appointment, we will connect you with a specialist in your local area.

  1. We arrange everything as needed

If you want to go ahead and book a fact-to-face appointment, we will connect you with a specialist in your local area no matter where you are and even at very short notice.

Dot Legal